Fall Hard for Chef Melissa’s Autumn Dessert Recipe!
The wonderful Motif Magazine recently interviewed Gracie’s Executive Pastry Chef Melissa Denmark for their Food section, where she shared her recipe for Pumpkin Praline Semifreddo (and answers to fun questions like “If you could be any spice, which spice would you be?”!). You can read the full interview here, but look no further for the delicious recipe, which we’ve included right here on our blog.
Melissa told Motif, “I chose a pumpkin praline semifreddo, which is similar to a no-churn ice cream, because I want something that people are able to get their hands on during the season and it’s a flavor that is so nostalgic for so many people.”
Pumpkin Praline Semifreddo
Yield: 1 9 x 5″ loaf pan, serves 8
7 eggs, yolks & whites separated
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cardamom
1. Place egg yolks in a stand mixer and whip on high until frothy.
2. Place maple syrup in a microwave safe container or small sauce pot and heat until it begins to bubble.
3. Slowly stream in the maple syrup while the egg yolks are whipping. Continue to whip until very pale and fluffy. Move into another bowl and set aside.
4. Clean and dry the mixing bowl thoroughly and add egg whites to the bowl. Whip on low until bubbles begin to form.
5. Slowly add the granulated sugar while whipping until all the sugar is added and mixture appears foamy.
6. Turn to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form.
7. In a large bowl, whisk spices into the pumpkin puree. Then, gently fold the whipped egg yolks into the pumpkin mixture.
8. Gently fold whipped egg whites into the mixture in three additions. Be careful not to overmix and deflate your semifreddo.
9. Clean and dry the mixing bowl thoroughly and whip heavy cream to medium peaks. Then fold it into the mixture in three additions.
10. Fold in chopped pecan praline (recipe below).
10. Line a 9×5″ loaf pan with plastic wrap, then pour in the semifreddo to fill the loaf pan.
11. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
12. To serve, either unmold the semifreddo onto a plate, remove the plastic wrap and slice into 8 slices, or use an ice cream scoop and serve from the pan.
3/4 cup pecans
3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix everything together, place on a sheet pan lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or until pecans become fragrant and the sugar starts to bubble.
4. Cool completely before chopping to fold into your semifreddo.